Sunday, September 9, 2012

Free Yourself: Let "Stuff" Go

W
hen we hold onto to anything in life, there is pain.

Life is about flow. Everything in our universe reminds us of that. Sun rise, sunset. Tide in, tide out. Seasonal and weather changes, including moving clouds. Relationships starting and ending.
Sometimes we get so caught up in our egoic minds, that we forget life is about flow and we relentlessly insist that things have to be a certain way. We attach ourselves to our wrong perceptions.

I found myself caught up in values which I insisted on enforcing. It was frustrating.

Nature, especially animals, brings us back to truth. Letting go actually brings to us our desires.

Sachi, my year-old Malti-poo puppy, recently gave me a tremendous lesson on this point. And, since it's national dog week, I wanted to share with you what I learned from him.

If you have been following this blog, you know how much I love animals. In my spare time (LOL)... I'm a volunteer docent for the Los Angeles zoo, and I take small animals and reptiles out to children's hospitals, schools for autistic kids, and senior homes and rehabilitation centers.

I have been trying to train Satchi to walk by the lake with me every morning. I tried to incorporate a power walk with his walk, so we both exercise.

However, he insists on pulling all directions. I have bought every type of leash and harness on the market. Multiple dog training books on my bookshelf. And, he has had two trainers. I even watched practically every episode of the Cesar Millan (the Dog Whisper) television show.

Satchi couldn't care less. He was a rescue raised with Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, and German Shepherds. He has no clue that his 12-pound little body is not as big, and will jump on any dog, regardless of their size when he meets them. However, at home, he's a gentle, obedient baby-dog, as a friend recently called him.

One day, after meditating on this frustrating doggie issue, I got the message to let go of my attachment, of how he should walk with me. Being a mother of three, this is uncomfortable territory. Parents insist children, even doggie children obey.

I had to realize the morning walk was not for me for exercise, it's for him. Allow him to read the doggie newspaper (sniffing every tree) that he likes.

Instantly, my egoic mind told me, "But Cesar Millan says that's not right." "What will other people think when they see him leading ME?" and, "I'll have to stop and let him sniff every few minutes. I don't want to slow down, let alone stop!"

I realized that I was attached to my values, and my perceptions. We get that way when we insist on what we know, is the only way. It's not. Our judgement is merely clouded.

So despite my egoic mind hounding me, I tried walking him on a retractable leash and just allowing him to dart off to my left and right. My heart pounded as I impatiently waited for him to sniff everything... and I do mean everything. He's that type of dog.

I kept telling myself to let go, relax, go with the flow.

My egoic mind told me, "But you are supposed to be the master. Get that dog disciplined!"

However, I instead turned from my mind, (not easy) and placed my attentions on my bodily sensations as I allowed Satchi to do what he pleased on the walk. I focused on my whole-body clenching. My awareness of the knots and clenching inside of my body, allowed me to relax.

I got a chance to see my control issues come up. Not only with him, but it reminded me of other things in life I tried to control. Old issues came up with my kids, my husband, my writing, my speaking, and on and on.

The more I let go, Satchi calmed down. And, when I called him back to me, Magic! He came.

Now I used the time he stops to sniff, to concentrate on my breathing, and to enjoy the trees, and the lake. I realized I was so busy trying to control him, that I lost my power.

Gradually, over the next few weeks, Satchi sniffed less, and started walking by my side.

A few times lately when he stopped to sniff, I was so much into feeling my body sensations, the wind on my skin, absorbing the beauty around me, that I looked down and noticed that he was by my side sitting and looking up at me as if to say, "How long are you going to stand there? Let's go."

So my lessons came loud and clear:

Take in advice, but do what works for you.

Never mind what others may think.

Let go of wrong perceptions.

Let go of attaching yourself to old values.

Flow with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment